What this girl did was wrong, but why should she have to register as a sex offender? Who did she offend, herself? This makes no sense. Also, would a young and obviously impressionable girl really be better off in juvenile hall for this mistake? If she was sent off to juvenile hall, she will be imprisoned with other bad seeds that might make her worse off in the end.
While I agree with the child pornography charge to some extent, the way the courts are handling this little girl's fate is ludicrous. She should be at home, with her mom and dad. Her parents need to ground her for the next year or four, throw her computer in the garbage, get rid of her phone, and cut her ties with her boyfriend. A good old-fashioned spanking wouldn't hurt either.
Parents are more lax than they were decades ago, and the consequences are harming our children. Today's teens are sending nude pictures through mobile phones and E-mails, and even though teens are the ones sending these photos out, prosecutors still consider these acts child pornography, and they are being tried as if they were 40-year-old men taking pictures of naked kids and plastering them across the internet. The laws need to change.
So how can you keep your kids safe? First off, don't let your children have computers in their bedrooms. Even if parental controls are set, there still plenty of ways around them. E-mails aren't affected by most programs. If they need to do homework on a computer, set up a community workspace in an open area, or better yet, keep the computer on a desk in the master bedroom.
Next, and this might come as a shocker, teens do not need regular cell phones. Cell phones are nothing but status symbols, and they rack up money when kids sign up for ringtone subscriptions, and send thousands of text messages. Worst of all, most cell phones today have full Internet and E-mail access.
There are several phones on the market that are child friendly, such as the LG Migo for Kids by Verizon. It allows the child to call up to 4 phone numbers, as well as 911, options like SMS have been omitted. If your teen just has to have a grown-up-looking phone, you can buy a teen-friendly phone such as the SCP-2400 phone by Sanyo, which comes with a parental control accessory bundle to keep your children safe.
Published by Alicia White
Alicia is a former air traffic controller who lived in Japan for several years. She s currently a freelance graphic designer and writer in California, and a full-time student majoring in digital media/graphi... View profile
- Belrad Universe, February 14, 2008 - TranscriptValentine's Day, strange news of the week, Hillary's rhetoric exposed, Liberal vs. Conservative, Romney out, Iraq forever?, and more.
- Texas Couple Sells 5-Year-Old for Sex and a Used CarThe FBI has charged Jennifer Richards and Sean Michael Block with attempting to sell Jennifer Richards' 5-year-old daughter for sex in return for an apartment, a used car, and d...
- Adrienne Bailon Nude Photos Latest Disney Internet Scandal Adrienne Bailon, the beautiful Chanel of Disney's "The Cheetah Girls," has joined the growing list of young Disney starlets that can't keep from being photographed nude and savi...
- Melissa Berry Nude Photos Show Up on MySpace; Berry Sues ExThe Lingerie Football League hasn't even played game one yet and they already have a scandal. But for the nearly naked, fully nude becomes the scandal, and such is the case of M...
- Sexting Results in Six High School Teens' Arrest for Child Pornography Six teenagers at Greensburg Salem High School have been charged with the manufacturing and dissemination of child pornography. A survey found 22% that think sexting is no big de...
- Man Grabs Girl's Arm - Now He's a Sex Offender
- Lawyers Claim Pfc. Jesse Spielman Did Not Plan Attack that Killed a 14-Year-Old Ir...
- Indiana Crime Briefs: Police Looking for Killer of 14-Year-Old Found Dead in Apart...
- Former Long Island Teacher Sentenced for Child Pornography
- Three Los Angeles Gang Members Arrested in the Shooting of a 9-year-old Girl
- Three Los Angeles Gang Members Arrested in Shooting of 9-Year-Old Girl
- Four Sentenced to Long Prison Terms in Kidnapping of 9 Year Old Girl