This is a review for the Asus RT-AC66U wireless router. I contacted Asus and they sent this router over for me to test out for thirty days to see how it performed. If you are interested in purchasing this router you can find the Asus RT-AC66U router anywhere computer electronics are sold for around $200 USD.
The Asus website says that this router is supposed to boost connection speeds and help provide a more stable and reliable wireless connection for your home network. Before I get into how the Asus RT-AC66U router performs, I will first tell what you get in the box.
Router Specs (taken from Asus Website):
- 5th generation 802.11ac chipset gives you concurrent dual-band 2.4GHz/5GHz for up to super-fast 1.75Gbps.
- ASUS AiCloud service: Access, stream, share, sync - all on the go with unlimited storage expansion!
- Gigabit Ethernet ports for the fastest, most reliable internet performance
- AiRadar optimizes wireless coverage with three detachable high-powered antennas
- Enjoy the ASUSWRT dashboard UI for 3 steps easy setup, signal monitoring, and network application control
- Download Master for wireless data storage and access to your router-connected USB storage devices
- File sharing, printer sharing, and 3G sharing via two multi-functional built-in USB ports
- The Asus RT-AC66u Router set includes- the Router, three detachable antennas, a mount stand to raise the router, network cables, and the installation CD.
Stability and connection speeds
Everything in the box is extremely easy to setup. You can easily screw the antennas onto the back of the router and hook everything up in about thirty seconds. On top of that it comes with a booklet to help you get everything up and running in case you don't know how to set the router up; even if you aren't tech savvy you will still be able to hook everything up on your own.
The CD rom that comes with the router has a really great program to install and set the router up, it made everything easy to use and it had step by step instructions to help you get the router setup. I believe that it took me a grand total of about five minutes to get everything up and running; it was that easy.
The Asus RT-AC66U router was very reliable and stable; I never had any problems with it disconnecting or having slowdown problems, and I never had a problem with any of my devices having a hard time finding the network. All of my devices were able to connect to the network and stream content without any problems, which I thought was great. In fact, I even opened the network up to the public and everyone within the area was able to connect and share my wireless hotspot. I believe there were about fourteen people all connected at one time from around the neighboring area all sharing a single connection, and I was surprised to find out that the internet connection didn't slow down.
If you use the Asus RT-AC66U router you shouldn't have any problems with having a weak connection.
There were two small things that bothered me during my test. The first thing was that it seemed like the stand that came with the router should have snapped and stuck in place or something because it falls out very easily. If you were to slightly bump the router the stand will most likely fall out of place.
The second thing that bothered me was that I didn't see much of a difference in the connection speed- it was about equal to my old Cisco WRT54G Linksys router; which isn't really a bad thing because both routers are very reliable.
I ran a speed test before and after I changed routers and I found that it didn't increase nor decrease the speed of my current internet connection, so don't expect it to do magical wonders to boost your connection speed passed your internet providers set limits. If you have a standard or low end connection speed you're still going to have that same speed after upgrading and changing routers.
The best part about this router though was how easy it was to setup and get all my devices connected and ready to go and how reliable the network was. So If you do have devices that can handle 5G speeds and you have a blazing fast high speed internet connection the Asus RT-AC66U router will be great for all of your home networking and small business needs because it can support up to 1.75 gbps.
For more information about the RT-AC66U router, make sure to check out the Asus official Website for further details.
The Contributor was given a gift or sample to inform this content.
Published by Ashton Usher
Ashton Usher is a long time musician with more than 15 years of musical experience. Ashton offers insight and opinions for video game guides, product reviews, and of course music tips and lessons. Ashton has... View profile
- Cell Phone as Modem for Internet Connection While You TravelA guide to using your cell phone as a modem; an alternative internet connection while traveling.
- WiFI - Your Neighbor's Wireless Connection... Stealing or Not?Many people use Wireless Internet, but what people may not know is there WiFi internet routers may be tapped in by many people. Some may call this stealing, and some may just call it free broadcasting, but whatever t...
- Tips for a Better Wireless Internet ConnectionReady to release the power of your Internet connection? Here are a few tips to help make sure you are getting the most out of your Internet connection.
- Diagnosing Internet Connection Problems Using the Modem/Router LightsAlmost all of us have experience internet connection problems. Sometimes, diagnosing the cause is as easy as looking at the lights
- How to Share a Laptop Wireless Internet Connection with the Ad Hoc OptionThis article explains how you can share a laptop wireless internet connection with the ad hoc option.
- Fixing a Problem that Could Destroy Your Vista Internet Connection
- Understanding Internet Connection Speed
- Internet Connection Blues
- How to Write Online Without an Internet Connection
- Fix Your Internet Connection Problems When You Can't Connect
- How to Work with a Slow Internet Connection
- How to Speed Up Your Internet Connection