Christmas in Iraq - a Christmas Poem for Our Soldiers
'Twas the Night Before Christmas in an Iraqi Town
Christmas in Iraq
'Twas the night before Christmas in an Iraqi town;
And our brave U.S. forces had all just hunkered down.
Not a Humvee was moving, not a Jeep stirred the sand
As troops dreamed of their homes, each and every man.
Some longed for their sweethearts, other men missed their moms,
Others missed sons and daughters not seen for so long.
Sugarplums would be nice, but much nicer to be
At home with their loved ones 'neath their own Christmas tree.
When what to their wondering ears should be heard,
But the faint sounds of carols, music and joyful words.
At first heard so faintly, then the sound grew and grew --
The sound of your loved ones singing carols for you.
For you are not forgotten, you are not alone;
You are missed by the people you keep safe at home,
And we remember you as the Christmas bells ring,
As you're watched by the Christ Child whose carols we sing.
For no matter how far from your home you may be,
There once was a Babe born for you and for me.
So hark to the carols as their music draws nigh,
And look to the stars in the Iraqi sky.
Remember the star which on Bethlehem shone,
The star that still guides those who yearn to be Home.
So as Christmas Day dawns over here, over there --
Merry Christmas to you, with our love, thanks, and prayers.
Listen to the Audio Version at http://kljc.calvary.edu/assets/audio/Iraqsoldierpoem.mp3.
If you liked this poem, you also might also enjoy:
Published by Kathryn E. Darden
An author, poet, publisher, publicist and skincare consultant, Kathryn Darden has written for publications including CCM Magazine, The Tennessean, Barbie Bazaar Magazine and several Nashville newspapers. Da... View profile
- Twas the Night Before Liberal Christmas V.2007Twas the night before Christmas and all 'bout The House Agendas collapsed and all the liberals did grouse! Good word from Iraq was the news of the day, That we could just win, caused the leftists to bay.
- A Soldier's Night Before Christmas - A Christmas PoemA Rendition of the Thomas Nast poem "Twas The Night Before Christmas."
- Twas the Night Before ChristmasTradition reborn.
- Twas the Night After ChristmasWe have always heard what happens on the night before, what about the night after?
- Moorestown Surgeon Killed in Iraqi Mortar Attack on Christmas Day, 2008Major John Pryor, 42, will always be remembered as an American hero. He will also be remembered as an incredible husband, father, son and citizen.
- Twas the Night Before Christmas in Iraq
- The Atlantic Paranormal Society TAPS: Twas the Night Before Christmas
- My Version, of the Night Before Christmas a Humor Story
- "'Twas the Night Before Christmas"- Who Really Wrote It?
- Free Printable 'Twas the Night Before Christmas
- 'Twas the Night Before Christmas: Redneck Style
- Twas the Night Before Christmas - 2008
- "Christmas in Iraq" is a poem for our military men and women
- The poem "Christmas in Iraq" was written in 2005 as a Christmas gift for our soldiers
- The original "Night Before Christmas" was written by Clement Clarke Moore in 1822