Crafts for Kids: Animal Stick Puppets
Make an Entire Family of Animal Stick Puppets with This Easy Craft!
To make animal stick puppets, you will need various colors of construction paper or card stock, long craft sticks, such as paint sticks or dowels, and other craft supplies like glue, wiggle eyes, markers, etc. If you do not have craft sticks, you can make cardboard craft sticks by cutting strips out of cardboard. You can use cardboard from shipping boxes or you can glue two or three layers of cereal box cardboard together and cut strips from that. The more layers you use, the stronger the stick will be.
Below you will get instructions for each animal and a link to an image to use as a guide so you can see how each animal looks when finished.
Cat Stick Puppet: For this animal, you can cut out a simple oval cat shape face including the pointy ears. Cut another oval shape out of white for the muzzle and glue it on the face. Then glue on wiggle eyes and a round black nose. Draw on some whiskers. Glue the puppet to the craft stick. Click this image to see how the cat stick puppet might look when you are done.
Monkey Stick Puppet: For this animal, cut a long oval out of brown construction paper, including the shape of ears on each side of the oval. Then cut another oval out of white for the face and two small pieces out of white to place inside each ear. Glue those pieces down. Then glue on the wiggle eyes, a small black circle of paper for the nose and draw on a mouth. Glue the puppet to the craft stick. Click this image to see how the cat stick puppet might look when you are done.
Penguin Stick Puppet: For this animal, cut a circle out of black construction paper. Then cut another circle out of white for the face. Cut a sort of V shape out of the top of the white oval. Glue the white face on the black paper. Glue on the wiggle eyes and a small beak cut from orange paper. Glue the puppet to the craft stick. Click this image to see how the cat stick puppet might look when you are done.
Baby Chick Stick Puppet: For this animal, cut an oval out of yellow construction paper, but leave some little points on the top for feathers. Glue on wiggle eyes or black eyes and a small beak. Glue the puppet to the craft stick. Click this image to see how the cat stick puppet might look when you are done.
A fun way to display these stick puppets is to tuck them into a bucket or wide rimmed vase. They make an awesome table centerpiece for a kid's party! Of course, you can always skip the stick and just hang the animal faces all over your home as party decorations.
Published by Darlene Michaud
I am an extreme couponer who can teach you how to cut your grocery bill 50% to 80% in a matter of a few weeks View profile
- Easy Reindeer Ornament Craft for ToddlersParents of toddlers know it's not always easy to find an easy and safe holiday craft that can also be adjusted to older kids in the family. Here are four ways to make an easy Reindeer Ornament Craft.
- Halloween Kid Crafts: PuppetsHalloween kid crafts are a great way to get your kids involved in the holiday. This article will provide you with detailed instructions on creating Halloween puppet crafts with kids.
- Martin Luther King Day Craft Project for Children: Multicultural Stick PuppetsThis children's craft project turns ordinary craft sticks into Multicultural Stick Puppet friends, making it perfect for Martin Luther King Day.
- Easy, Frugal, Homemade Christmas Presents for KidsIt you are looking for frugal Christmas gifts for kids, the internet is an endless supply of creative homemade present ideas.
- Making Alphabet Animal PuppetsThese are stick puppets that you can make using an animal for each letter in the alphabet.