Fatal Water Poisoning
Drinking Too Much Water Can Lead to Water Intoxication and Water Poisoning, Which Can Be Fatal. Learn What This is All About and Prevent Water Poisoning
How does water poisoning occur?
Too much water can cause water poisoning, since excess water can cause an imbalance in the quantity of electrolytes in the body's fluids. When there is loss of salts and water from our body (perspiration and urine), they need to be replenished. But if you drink too much water in one shot, the salt levels in the blood plasma go down. This then leads to a shift in the osmotic pressure. What does that mean in simple terms? There is a pressure on the cell walls, especially in the brain and central nervous system. If this pressure is sufficiently large, cell walls can actually break down. This is when the cells start dying and water poisoning occurs. This poisoning can also become fatal.
How much is too much water?
The amount of water that can lead to water poisoning varies from person to person. Generally, it is said that 3+ liters can cause water poisoning. It depends on a person's physical fitness, the temperature and also the duration within which a large quantity of water is consumed.
Symptoms of water poisoning
-swelling of the brain
Who is likely to suffer from this poisoning?
Since athletes perspire a lot and lose both water and salt, they may be tempted to drink a lot of water in one go. But you must have noticed that normally, they consume sports drinks that have added electrolytes.
So keep this in mind when you are extremely thirsty, especially if you have been through an exhausting work-out routine.
- How to Protect Your Family Against Carbon Monoxide PoisoningHave you ever heard about the people who died from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning while running a generator inside their garage during a power-outage? This article helps you understand the risks and teaches you how to prot...
- Too Much Water - a Bad Thing?Overdoing your water intake can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to an even more serious problem called hyponatremia which results from the dilution of sodium...
- Dying for Water: Are You Drinking Too Much Water?If you're an athlete, fitness buff or just someone who enjoys water, you may have heard some news about people who die from drinking too much water. Here are some of the basics...
- Drinking Water: How Much is Too Much?Most of your body is made of water, the universal solvent that is required for life. But can you drink too much of a good thing? Absolutely!
- Mother Dies After Water Drinking ContestWoman competes in radio station contest and dies from drinking too much water.
- Water Intoxication: How Much Water is Too Much
- Drink a Lot of Water? Too Much Can Kill You!
- Deadly Water Intoxication: Are You at Risk?
- Woman Dead After Radio Station's Water-Drinking Contest
- Water Intoxication - Watch Your Water Intake!
- Water: Facts You Don't Know About H2O
- What to Do in Case of Poisoning