If pesky houseflies inundate your home or garage on a regular basis, and you're tired of swatting flies all day long, besides patching holes in screens, keeping your kitchen clean, and properly disposing of trash, there are home remedies you can try in an effort to get rid of flies that make their way into your house and garage. These home remedies are a good alternative to chemical sprays, traps, and store-bought flypaper; these home remedies are easy and inexpensive, and best of all, these home remedies work.
If you're tired of spending money on flypaper, consider making your own. Although flypaper isn't an attractive household accessory, this home remedy for catching flies is extremely effective, and it's very easy to make.
To make homemade flypaper you'll need a brown paper bag, scissors, string, and a shallow pan. You'll also need ½ cup of sweet maple syrup, two tablespoons of brown sugar, and two tablespoons of white sugar. Combine these ingredients in a shallow pan, and cut the brown paper bag into one-inch wide strips. Poke a hole in the top of each strip, and thread a string through each hole. Soak the strips in the sticky mixture for about eight hours. Remove the strips from the mixture, and after they stop dripping, hang them in areas where flies are a problem.
Bags of Water
One of the most effective home remedies to get rid of flies involves hanging clear plastic bags of water near outdoor entryways. This might sound like a ridiculous way to get rid of flies, but people who live on farms, and those who operate fruit stands use this home remedy to get rid of flies on a regular basis.
There is more than one theory behind this home remedy, and the first theory hinges on the natural instincts and the poor eyesight of flies. Clear bags of water are said to cast images that to a fly resemble spider webs, and flies steer clear of anything that resembles a web. The other theory claims the reflection of the water disorients flies, and this illusion is said to be an effective way to get rid of flies and greatly control their numbers. Whatever the reason, this home remedy is said to really work.
Simply fill gallon size bags of water about halfway full, and hang the bags outdoor areas where flies are a problem. Suspend the bags near entryways, garage doors, and anywhere else files seem to graze. According to this home remedy, you'll notice a great reduction in the fly population almost immediately.
If flies are a constant problem in and around your home, they can be coaxed into jars where they'll remain forever trapped. Simply place food that attracts flies in the bottom of a jar with a lid. Poke a couple of holes in the lid so the flies can enter the trap. After entering the jar, the flies won't be able to get back out. This home remedy to help get rid of flies is inexpensive, easy, and this simple homemade flytrap can be thrown away when you're ready to replace it with a new one.
Published by Crystal Ray
Crystal Ray is an award-winning freelance writer and professional home decorator and designer from the Chicago area. She won the People s Media Award from Associated Content in 2009 as well as numerous award... View profile
- The Many Uses of a Brown Paper BagThis article contains many uses for your pile of paper bags. Check it out.
- Organic Ways to Get Rid of Flies in Your HouseYou don't have to use deadly sprays to get rid of flies in your house.
- Get Rid of Flies NaturallyThis article offers ten ideas to help get rid of flies without the use of chemicals.
- Getting Rid of Household Pests the Green WayA "how to" on naturally ridding you home of pests with every day household products.
- How to Get Rid of Gnats in the House
- Brown Paper Bag Birthday Party Pinata
- Recycled Brown Paper Bag Christmas Place Mat
- Organic Ways to Get Rid of Flies
- Eco-Friendly Storage Boxes: Brown Paper Bag Storage Boxes
- Get Rid of Flies with Organic and Natural Methods
- Organic Ways to Get Rid of Flies in Your House
Memorial Day Voices
Which Memorial Day family activity is your favorite?
- Do you want to learn more about flies? Visit Insects.org for facts about flies and other insects.
- Consider making your own flypaper in an effort to get rid of flies.
- Hanging clear plastic bags of water near outdoor entryways is said to get rid of flies.
- Flies can be coaxed into jars where theyï¿½ll remain forever trapped.