Coconuts are high in saturated fat and are one of the very few plant fats that are saturated. Saturated fats are mostly found in animal fats. Though, many health critics tout coconut as a healthy saturated fat.
Coconut milk should not be mistaken with coconut water. Coconut water is the natural liquid you find inside a coconut when you break it open. Coconut milk and cream are made from the meat of the coconut.
To make coconut milk and cream you will need:
3/4 C. Plain unsweetened shredded coconut
2 1/4 C. boiling water
Cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer
Bowl, jar or container
Place the shredded coconut and boiling water into the blender. Don't blend it yet, just let it sit for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes blend the mixture on high for 1 and 1/2 minutes, then let the blended mix sit for at least 10 minutes.
After the time has past blend one last time for 30 seconds.
Prepare your cheesecloth or strainer over your chosen container. Pour the blended coconut mix over the cheesecloth or strainer. Let the liquid pour through the strainer and into the container.
When liquid is no longer coming from the strainer use the back of a spoon to press out more liquid. If using a cheesecloth use your hands to squeeze out the excess liquid. When all liquid is drained set aside excess coconut.
Put a lid on the container and store in the refrigerator. The next day you will find that separation has occurred. The separation is the coconut cream that has settled at the top. The coconut cream can be scooped out and used separately in recipes or you can break up the coconut cream and pour the milk and cream into a blender and blend until smooth. This will produce a full cream coconut milk which can be used in any recipe that calls for coconut milk.
Prepared coconut milk and cream keeps for about a week in the refrigerator or you can even freeze it for later use. The excess coconut can be used in recipes.
Published by Katri Marson
I write because I was born with a pen between my thumb and pointer finger. It gets in the way of everyday life, but I have learned to make use of it. Though, I am not sure what I am going to do once it run... View profile
- Making Cakes from Scratch: Coconut CakeYou don't have to wait until Thanksgiving to add this kind of excitement to your dinner table. This beautiful, delicious coconut cake can be made for any occasion, and is sure to make your family just as excited as i...
- How to Make Bananas and Coconut Milk - a Delicious Authentic Thai DessertThis is a very simple recipe for a quick, tasty, Thai dessert, served all over Thailand.
- How to Make Pumpkin and Coconut Milk - A Delicious Authentic Thai DessertI love Thai desserts. They're usually healthier than Western desserts, not quite as sweet and so tasty. This is one of my favorites.
- Coconut Pies and CakesRecipes with ingredients and directions for coconut pies and cakes. Sure to please your entire family.
- Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream: For a Unique and Truly Delectable Gourmet Ice Cream Exp...Jeni's Ice Cream offers a deliciously distinctive taste sensation that's well worth screaming about-or singing or giddily giggling or sighing in satiated delight or maybe even penning a poem.
- Do Coconut Remedies Work? How to Make Your Own Fresh Coconut Milk
- A Product Review of So Delicious All Natural Coconut Milk and Raspberry Yogurt: So...
- Review of so Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage
- How to Cook with Coconut Milk
- Make Your Own Coconut Milk for Pennies
- Ten Great Uses for Shredded Coconut
- How to Enjoy Coconut and Its Healthy Properties This Summer Season