Ask them not to contact you
Explain that you will contact them if you need anything (such as your CD collection) back from them, but that short of that they should not contact you via email, Facebook, phone, or any other method. Make this point clear and unambiguous-the relationship is over and you need the time and distance to become independent again.
Don't provide answers when they ask if you are dating
When an ex asks about your dating life, feel free to tell them you are dating if you feel like it, but do not feel compelled to update them on your personal life-it is no longer any of their business, and an ex can have no "claim" or "say" over what you do with your life now, or who you choose to see. It is important to make this point clear as well or you may find your ex slowly creeping back into your life, quietly usurping power and judging your actions. You do not need this!
Do get your keys back
Even if your ex is respectful and never shows up unannounced, it is symbolically important to get the keys to your apartment back-plus, you don't want to worry about them walking in on you when you are with someone else. If you suspect they have made copies of your keys, also call a locksmith and have the locks replaced (this isn't too expensive and is often well worth the peace of mind that comes as a result).
Don't be tempted to text them late at night
Even if you are bored or have downed a few drinks at the bar with your buddies, do not be tempted to text your ex-doing so makes you "fair game" for long, rude responses or future phone calls. If you have asked to cease all contact with them, you need to honor this commitment as well. If you aren't sure if you can do this, I suggest deleting his or her phone number from your phone so you will never be tempted to contact them.
If necessary, sever ties on Facebook and MySpace
If you are friends with an ex on social networking sites such as Facebook or MySpace, you may want to "de-friend" them (go to the privacy settings tab on Facebook) so that they will not be privy to information about your personal life, who else you may be dating now, and recently tagged photos of you.
- My Ex is Stalking Me: One Woman's Story to Fight AbuseCayla* broke up with her boyfriend, but he decided he didn't want to break up with her, no matter what she said.
- One Victim's Account of Being Stalked by an Ex-BoyfriendOur relationship was both emotionally and physically abusive and he told me no matter what, he would find me wherever I went. I watched as he loaded the clip into the 9mm Luger and he snapped it into place.
- Kylie Minogue Wants Her Fans to Stop Harassing Her Ex-boyfriendPopular Australian singer Kylie Minogue is sending out a unique message to her fans. The 38 year-old singer would like for her fans to leave her ex-boyfriend alone. Her fans h...
- Dealing with an Ex Spouse Isn't Easy
- Benefits of Living with an Ex-Husband
- "The Bachelor" Jake Cheating on Vienna - Video of Ex Girlfriend Telling All Here!
- Prince Harry and Ex-Girlfriend Chelsy Davy: On Again-Off Again or Together Again?
- Different Ways to Get Your Ex-Girlfriend Back
- Communicating with the Ex-Spouse About Your Children
- How to Handle Uninvited Wedding Guests: Dealing with Crashers Gracefully