1. Nix swampy or standing water. Mosquitoes lay their eggs on swampy water. Leaving standing water around is risky. I once had some mosquitoes lay eggs in a glass of water. The hatching larvae looked like a new kind of fish. We didn't know what the heck was going on until we looked up pictures. Perhaps the easiest way of keeping mosquitoes out of the yard is to be sure there is no standing water around for them to lay eggs in.
2. Clear the land. Mosquitoes also love to breed in tall grasses and dense bushes. If you want to keep mosquitoes out of your yard, keep your lawn neatly trimmed. Keep bushes and heavy foliage away from outdoor living areas. These natural methods of maintenance will keep mosquitoes out of your yard space.
3. Start a fire. Sitting out in the yard at night is a common occurrence in the hot summer. It's cooler outside than in. Outdoor entertainment saves on air conditioning. Mosquitoes, unfortunately are most prominent at dusk. To keep them away from the yard at this time of day, why not build a fire in an outdoor pit? You can sit around the fire in peace, because the smoke drives away mosquitoes and other biting insects.
4. Use eucalyptus, garlic or citronella. We all know about citronella and it's mosquito repellent properties. Who knew eucalyptus and garlic work to repel mosquitoes as well? That's right, you can spray eucalyptus oil mixed with water around the yard to repel mosquitoes. Planting garlic or mixing and spraying it with water works too.
5. Soothing the itch. So, despite your natural methods for keeping mosquitoes out of the yard, they got you anyway. Here's what you can do to sooth the itch naturally. Hold an ice cube on the bite right when it happens. (This works for bee stings too.) Applying a cotton ball soaked in tea or vinegar is another natural method for relieving itchy bites. So use natural methods to drive mosquitoes from the yard. When it doesn't work, you can soothe the itch naturally too.
Published by Jaipi Sixbear
Jaipi (pronounced J.P.) is a published author, regular contributor at Yahoo! and a multi-topic columnist at Examiner.com. Jaipi also ghost writes for several clients and coaches writers new to web writing... View profile
- Homemade Remedies to Keep Mosquitoes Away! Read this informative article and learn about some homemade remedies to keep mosquitoes away that will help protect you and your family!
- Ways to Get Rid of Disease Breeding MosquitoesMosquitoes, disease carrying pests, can adversely affect your health.
- Facts for Kids About MosquitoesSearching for random trivia about mosquitoes? This article will enlighten you.
- How to Use Mosquitofish to Control MosquitoesHow and why mosquitofish, Gambusia affinis, are used to control mosquitoes.
- What's the Best Way to Keep Mosquitoes Out of Your Yard?Most methods that are advertised to keep mosquitoes out of your yard simply don't work very well.
- How to Keep Bugs Away Using Natural Methods
- Repelling Mosquitoes Naturally for Your Environment
- How to Remove Mosquitoes from Your Yard
- Mosquito Control: How to Avoid and Repel Mosquitoes Naturally
- Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitoes in Your Yard
- How to Detoxify Your Garden
- 5 Best Natural Ways to Fight Mosquitoes