Emmitt Smith is one of the most famous running backs in NFL history. In 1993 he was the league MVP. Smith holds many NFL records, such as most career rushing yards and the most rushing touchdowns. Spending most of his career with the Dallas Cowboys, Smith played a key part in the three Super Bowls the Cowboys won in the 1990's. To cap off a great career in 2010 Smith was inducted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Even though Emmitt is no longer playing football you can see his competitive spirit when he won the Dancing with the Stars title in 2006. Emmitt and his wife, Pat gives back to the community with many great charitable events and programs. This year Emmitt has put back on his dancing shoes as he is back for this season of Dancing with the Star: All Stars edition. Emmitt was nice enough to take time out of his busy schedule and chat about football, Dancing with the Stars, and fatherhood.
Art Eddy: Is there one moment that stands out in your great football career?
Emmitt Smith: I've been blessed to have a lot of success throughout my NFL career. To be able to win three Super Bowls for the team I grew up watching fulfilled a lifelong dream of mine. I am proud of my individual accomplishments but at the end of the day, what we did as a team was truly remarkable. Also being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame was the crowning moment of my career which took a lot of hard work and sacrifice.
AE: What was it like to be up on the podium during your acceptance speech for the Football Hall of Fame?
ES: It was such an emotional moment. I had practiced my speech a lot and was confident I was prepared. But the emotions of the moment and to look out over the crowd and see so many of family members, friends, teammates and coaches who helped me along the way were a moving experience for me.
AE: Do you think anyone will pass your NFL career rushing yard total?
ES: It might be too early to tell. I worked really hard but was also fortunate to be healthy most of my career and get great help along the way form guys like Moose Johnston and other talented lineman. I really like watching this new crop of NFL running backs, but breaking my record might be a ways off.
AE: You are back for this season of Dancing with the Stars. Having won the title in season three is there more added pressure to win this year's title?
ES: It's an All-Star cast, so everyone is talented and the competition is intense. There is certainly more pressure this year but that's what makes it exciting. This season is going to challenge me even more than 2006 and I really like that. Cheryl and I are working hard and look forward to the chance to showcase our moves each week.
AE: You and your wife Pat do a lot for the community. Tell me about your work you do in the Pat & Emmitt Smith Charities.
ES: The purpose of Pat and Emmitt Smith Charities is to provide resources to underserved youth whether that is educational resources, access to summer camps, or leadership training. We want children, no matter what their background is, to have the best opportunities possible. We realize that we are blessed to be in a position to help and can have an impact in the lives of others.
AE: As a father what is the best advice you have given to your children?
ES: Being a dad is my greatest accomplishment. I always tell my kids to work hard, be themselves, and be respectful of others. Above all, I try to be as good of a role model as I can be for them, and hopefully by doing that I can be a good role model for others as well.
Published by Art Eddy, III
Art is a writer, podcast producer, and a stay at home dad. He is always looking to share funny stories, product reviews, and interviews he has with athletes, actors, and musicians. Art started his career... View profile
- Season7:Dancing With the Stars Fall 2008 Lineup New CastThe lineup for the Fall 2008 Season 7 of the Dancing With The Stars TV Show
- My Wish List for Who Should Be on Next Dancing with the StarsSo I get bored during the offseason, Not that it's possible. But here's who I would like to see compete on Dancing with the Stars in 2009.
- Dancing with the Stars Head to BermudaCelebrities and dancers of the hit ABD show Dancing With The Stars come together with Cruise Freek Forums to present an amazing cruise.
- Dancing with the Stars Season 9 Cast AnnouncementDancing with the Stars announced the lineup for season 9 on Good Morning America today. Check out who's dancing this season!
- Lessons Learned from Dancing with the Stars ShowThe return of ABC's Dancing with the Stars caused me to take a moment to ponder what it can teach us. This article discusses a few of the lessons I've learned from Dancing with the Stars.
- Fantasy Football Has Increased the NFL Fan Base
- Dancing with the Stars New Cast Revealed
- Dancing with the Stars TV Show Announces Line Up for Fall 2008
- Lacey Schwimmer to Participate on Dancing with the Stars
- Dancing with the Stars Reveals New Cast
- Dancing with the Stars Fall 2007: The Winner is Announced!
- Free Online Dancing with the Stars Games