Here is a collection of some of the recipes collected by the lunch ladies from the school cafeteria. I hope they bring back good memories.
How To Make School lunch rolls
Easy Recipe Ingredients & Directions
This recipe came from the files of a retired cafeteria manager from Pascagoula, Mississippi.
2 ½ pounds plain flour
½ cup dry milk
½ cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1/4 cup instant yeast
3/4 cup melted, cooled butter or shortening (room temperature)
3 cups lukewarm water
Sift together all of the dry ingredients. Mix Well, Add yeast, lukewarm water and cooled melted butter. Beat 15 minutes (important). Let rise.
Roll out to 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick. Cut out rolls with cutter. Place on greased pans. Let rise again. Bake at 350 degrees F until done. Butter tops. Serves 65.
Cafeteria Yeast Rolls
3 packages yeast
2 cups warm water
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cubes melted butter (3/4 cup)
7 cups flour
1/2 cup dry milk
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1. Put yeast & water in mixing bowl and add sugar. Let set until dissolved, then add melted butter.
2. Add flour, dry milk and salt. Beat well.
3. Shape into rolls, place on greased sheet & let rise till double in bulk.
4. Bake about 15 minutes at 425 º.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - NOTES : This is an old cafeteria recipe that is so easy to make if you have a heavy duty mixer. It only requires one rising and it's impossible to mess these rolls up. If you don't have a heavy duty mixer, only add part of the flour so you can mix them well and then knead the remainder of the flour in.
RICHLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT CINNAMON ROLLS
(makes a bunch!)
1. Dissolve 3T of Yeast & 2 T of Sugar in 1C of
2. Add 1 1/2 cups of lukewarm water
3. Scald 2 cups of milk,
Add 2/3 cups of shortening
& 10T of Sugar (just less than 3/4C),
2T of salt, stir until dissolved
Beat 2 eggs and add to milk mix.
Pour that into the yeast water from step 2.
Gradually mix in 10-12 cups of flour Till the
dough is thick
4. Kneed till smooth
5. Put in a greased bowl and raise 1 hour
punch down and let raise another 45 minutes
6. Roll in a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
Butter dough completely with softened butter
(try 1/4 to 1/2 cup of butter).
Sprinkle with brown sugar until it's covered
(1-2 cups at least).
Sprinkle with cinnamon until covered.
Add raisins or (walnuts) as desired.
Roll up the entire rectangle and slice into 1" sections.
(for large rolls flatten with the palm of your hand).
Place pieces in buttered pan or cookie sheet.
(if you pack them in, just touching, they look just like
the ones from the cafeteria when they are done)
Let stand 45 minutes.
Bake 15-20 minutes at 350F.
Remove from oven and glaze.
If you want to add raisins, put the raisins in a
small amount of water then in the Microwave for
a minute or two. Drain them WELL, maybe squeeze
excess out with your hands. Add to the dough after
a few cups of flour, then mix and add the rest of
To cut into nice even pieces, use a string. Slide the
string under the long roll, bring the ends up to the
top, cross and pull. This will cut the rolls without
Glaze: Mix powered sugar, Margarine (or Butter),
vanilla, and milk until it looks and tastes right (try
a cube of margarine, lots of sugar, a tsp. of vanilla,
and milk until the glaze is smooth.) Don't glaze the
rolls until they are ready to be eaten, If you want
to save them till later, put the glaze in an air-tight
After the rolls cool, you can cover them in plastic.
They're still good re-heated in the microwave.
These recipes are some of the best kept secrets by the School Cafeteria. Homemade Hot Rolls and Cinnamon Rolls are a tradition passed down to every lunch lady in America. Bring back good memories by making some of these homemade hot rolls or cinnamon rolls today.
Published by Paula Myers
I am a wife and mom. I have over 7 years of Retail Clothing Store Management experience. I absolutely love Retail. My goal is to have my own clothing store. View profile
- A Review of Cinnabon Cinnamon RollsIt should be no surprise that Cinnabon cinnamon rolls are not the healthiest snack choice. In fact, this item is not healthy at all. Men and women who are dieting will being doi...
- Morning Delight Cinnamon RollsMorning Delight Cinnamon Rolls is a product which is distributed by Save-A-Lot Stores. It is a wonderful product that is tasty and inexpensive.
- I Survived an Attack by a Rogue Can of Cinnamon Rolls Bent on World DominationHoly bouncing cinnamon rolls Batman! I could have been killed or worse!
- Rhodes Any Time Cinnamon RollsThese Rhodes cinnamon rolls can go directly from the freezer to the oven, and are ready to enjoy in a half an hour
- Hot Rolls and Cinnamon Kuchen Recipes Delicious Anytime of the YearAromas of hot rolls and cinnamon kuchen baking, will lead you right into the kitchen to whip these delicious recipes up for family and friends.
- How to Make Easy Homemade Cinnamon Rolls like Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls
- Maw Smith's Cinnamon Rolls
- New Chung's All-Natural Shrimp Spring Rolls: Tasty Asian Cuisine
- Review: Rhodes Bake and Serve White Dinner Rolls
- How to Make Granny's Homemade White Bread & Rolls
- Inside an Elementary School Cafeteria
- Reviewing Pillsbury's Sugar Free Cinnamon Rolls