StarCraft 2 utilizes a "league" system which places players into certain leagues based on their performance. Not counting the practice league, there are seven in total. Bronze, Silver, Gold, etc., going all the way up to Grand Master. In order to initially determine what league you are in, you have to play five placement matches. After winning two of our five 2v2 arranged placement matches, my friend and I were somehow placed into the Gold league. That was surprisingly high considering our unimpressive record during placement.
But here is where the problems really started. After being placed into the Gold League, we expected to be playing other people in the same league - Gold. That was not the case. The very first game we got matched up against a team in the Platinum League. What? That made no sense. I understand that sometimes you'll get matched up against people in a different league than you, but the very first game? If the system was going to match us against a Platinum team, then maybe we should have been placed in the Platinum league to begin with.
Thinking maybe it was just some system glitch, we tried another game. Guess what happened? Matched against a team in the Diamond league! Not only that, but checking their profiles disclosed they were also part of a 4v4 team in the Master league. C'mon! Why would we be matched up against these players? Obviously we just got owned both games to the point where it was not even fun. What kind of broken league system is this?
The only good thing about the league system is that it goes by region. As far as I know, this means someone playing in the U.S. won't be matched up against someone playing in Korea. Thank goodness for that, at least.
Published by Alex Hinkley
Alex Hinkley holds a bachelors degree in Criminology. He is an Associate Producer on The Freeman Chronicles, Associate Producer on DreadOut, and a Co-Producer on J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition. He also founded... View profile
- StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty: The Battle ContinuesStarCraft II: Wings of Liberty video game resumes the battle from Starcraft. New characters join the old. Multi-user via Battle.net increases the excitement as you campaign agai...
- The Globalization of the NBAEven though USA Basketball took the Gold in 2008, we can't forget 2004. In August of 2004 the United States Basketball Team finished 3rd in the Sydney Olympics.
- Finding the Best Website for Your Fantasy Football League
- StarCraft 2 Matchmaking is Broken Part 1
- Can the Giants' Get Help from Their Minor League System This Year?
- Starcraft 2 First Impressions: Multiplayer with Battle.Net
- Starcraft 2 Battle.Net User Name Creation FAQ
- Fantasy Baseball Outlook 2011: Breaking Down the Baltimore Orioles
- Volleyball Hall of Fame: The Untold Biography of Ana Beatriz Moser!