Results from a study done by a research team at Portsmouth University were recently released and showed that many women are jogging their way to saggy breasts. The study looked at the rate at which a woman's breasts bounce when jogging. It showed that when a woman runs a mile, her breasts bounce at about 135m.
The stress that jogging puts on the sensitive breast area can often result in temporary pain and stretching of the Cooper's ligaments, which is the area of the chest containing the outer skin and connective tissues. Breasts do not have much internal support, which is why strain on them from activities such as jogging can cause saggy breasts.
The study gave some insight into why millions of women worldwide suffer from this uncomfortable, and sometimes embarrassing, condition. Its lead researcher, Dr. Joanne Scurr, said that the study illustrates the need for women to wear the proper equipment while exercising. "People rightly spend time and effort to get the right footwear for exercise and it is equally important to wear the correct sports bra," she said. "Proper support for breasts will reduce the stretch to the Cooper's ligament."
Correcting saggy breasts is impossible without surgery, which may be why many women choose to live with it, rather than seek corrective action. However, some women see the option of cosmetic surgery as amore viable option that it has been in the past. This is because surgical breast procedures have become less invasive and the side and after effects have lessened and become easier to overcome.
The good news is that there are ways to combat the effect of jogging on your breasts before sagginess sets in. The study showed that bouncing was reduced by almost 40% by wearing a regular bra. However, bouncing was reduced by a whopping 78% when the proper sports bra was worn while jogging. There are a number of brands of sports bras available for women who jog. Many provide the extra support needed to avoid excessive bouncing of the breasts, which results in less stress and pain on your breasts. Shock Absorber, a firm that produces sports bras, sponsored the study.
Several other ways to continue to engage in exercises that cause your breasts to bounce, including jogging, without resulting in saggy breasts, include: limiting such activities to just a few times a week and making sure that you are aware of how you exercise affects your breasts. Chances are that if you are still having pain and discomfort, even when wearing a proper sports bra, then your breasts may be too heavy to jogging. If you fall in that category, brisk walking might be a better activity for you and your breasts.
Published by Lynda Belcher
I have more than 15 years of journalism experience, with more than seven as the Specialty Products Editor for a large, daily Florida newspaper, with responsibilities including managing freelance writers, wri... View profile
- Bras and Health ProblemsBras don't support comfort. They support pain. Sufferers of headache, shoulder ache, backache, and many more discomforting problems will find relief by cutting down on bra wearing time or getting rid of it altogether.
- The Secret to Finding the Perfect BraBras can be tricky, sexy, comfortable, for wear everyday, for wear at night, or for wear to the gym. Finding a proper fitting everyday bra doesn't have to be difficult.
- Bravissimo: Quality Bras for Busty WomenFor women who are bigger than a D cup, finding a good bra can be a challenge. Bravissimo offers a wide range of cute, sexy, supportive, and comfourtable bras.
- Do Underneath Your Breasts Smell like Vinegar? Have you noticed a vinegar scent underneath your breasts? Here are some of the ways to prevent this problem, which is common among large chested women.
- Top Plus Size Bras Under $30Plus size bras can be an expensive proposition for the buxom. Most plus size women need extra support, and that support comes at a premium. But here's a list of top plus size bras for under $30 to help preserve your b...
- CW-X Conditioning Wear: Extra Support Sports Bras for Large Breasted Women
- Methods to Help Lift Saggy Breasts
- Nonsurgical Ways to Revive Your Perky Breasts
- Plus Size Bras: A Shopping Guide for Cups that Runneth Over
- Best Sports Bras for Big Boobs
- Nursing Sports Bras for Big Boobs
- Are You Wearing the Wrong Bra?
- The stress that jogging puts on the sensitive breast area can often result in temporary pain.
- Correcting saggy breasts is impossible without surgery.
- There are ways to combat the effect of jogging on your breasts before sagginess sets in.