Temple of Garudeshwar Mahadev in Gujarat State of India
Along the Bank of River Narmada Near Vadodara
This temple of Garudeshwar Mahadev is around 2000 years old and it is said that the Lord Shiva took the form of an eagle and saved all the common people from the attack of the evil elements. That is why this ancient temple was constructed by the local people. Garudeshwar temple can be reached easily from any major cities of the Gujarat State like Vadodara, Bharuch, Surat, and Ahmedabad by the State Transport buses or hired car/taxi service. This ancient temple is situated at the bank of River Narmada and there is also a ghat made at the temple so that all the pilgrims can take holy bath here in the River Narmada. Recently, a new temple of Lord Guru Dattatreya is constructed here before around ten years. This Dattatreya temple is extremely beautiful and can be reached by traveling in the boat from the ancient temple of Garudeshwar Mahadev. The rowing boats are available that can accommodate around 16 people in one trip to take the pilgrims to this Guru Dattatreya temple.. The charges for such boat rides are around Rs.20 (forty cents) per person. This ride takes around thirty minutes to reach this newly built temple of Lord Dattatreya. The experience of the boat ride is really enjoyable as there is Satpuda Mountain range on both the sides of the Narmada River, which presents very nice landscape. The width of the bank of River Narmada at this point is so small that even a deer can cross the River in one jump. The statue of Lord Dattatreya is really very impressive and hypnotizing due to its piercing eyes. The statue is made of black granite stone and carved with beautiful wooden designs. This place may appear slightly isolated as there are no large crowds of pilgrims visiting this place. Very few pilgrims, who love to visit virgin and isolated places, visit this rare beauty spot of Garudeshwar Mahadev. There are regular artis taking place here at both the Lord Shiva and Guru Dattatreya temples in the morning and the evening. You must make it a point to attend such arti ritual, preferably in the evening as it creates a very holy and spiritual environment. We were lucky to attend the evening arti ritual and then, went back to Vadodara city in the late evening.
There are no hotels or guest houses available at Garudeshwar. But, one small Dharmshala is available here at the temple in case some pilgrims would like to stay for the night halt. The food prepared by the priest of the temple is the only source of dinner here at the temple. But if you really want to feel and enjoy the real wild life of the thick forest, you must stay here at the temple for one night at least. There is a famous Surpaneshwar fall, only around four miles away from this ancient temple. This fall is also worth visiting as the River water falls from the height of around eighty feet and present the most beautiful site. It would be the ideal plan to arrange one day long picnic from the cities of Vadodara, Surat, or Bharuch to cover both these places. The leisurely bath here at the River ghat is really enjoyable. However, the pilgrims must take care while taking a bath here as the water in the Narmada River is really deep at some places and also have some twisters that can pull the persons inside the River. There have been some incidents of drowning of the people at this spot. It would also be better to carry some light snacks and the mineral drinking water supplies with you as these are not available here in good quality. This is the ideal place for performing the meditation and lots of meditation camps of around three to six days duration are held here regularly during the winter season.
We really did enjoy our visit to this ancient temple of Garudeshwar Mahadev and it has become one of the major highlights of our entire visit to India. I would strongly suggest all my friends and readers to visit this unique place to feel the real heart beats of the holy River Narmada.
Published by Harshal Chhaya
I am an engineer by day and by night too. I have been building websites and online communities for more than a decade. Also love to read and hang out with my family. View profile
- Lord Shiva Temple of Kuber Bhandari at Karnali Near Vadodara City in Gujarat State...The coast of River Narmada is full of most holy places and temples that can provide you with the most divine and spiritual experience of your life. Visit to Kuber Bhandari temple near Vadodara in India can prove to be...
- See the Beautiful City of Bhuj in Gujarat, IndiaBhuj is one of the most important city of Gujarat State. It has all types of entertainments and the historical places that are worth visiting. Today's Bhuj has been totally newly renovated after the earthquake of the...
- Narmada Dam Near Bharuch in Gujarat in India Narmada dam, constructed at Navagam near Bharuch in India, is an engineering marvel of the present time. The water, power and farming situation have improved a lot in Western part of India due to this dam.
- The Coral Reef Ecosystem and Biodiversity in IndiaCoral reefs are not found everywhere in India. Their biodiversity is so interesting
- American Tourist: How to Cross the Street in India and Live to Tell Abou...Crossing the street in India can be an exciting experience, but it doesn't have to be life-threatening. Following these tips will help an American tourist safely cross the stre...
- The Famous Pilgrimage Place of Karnali on the Bank of River Narmada in Gujarat Sta...
- Great Picnic Spot in Galteshwar Near the City of Vadodara, Gujarat State of India
- Visit to the Ancient Temple of Surpaneshwar Mahadev at the Bank of River Narmada
- Vrundavan Gardens at Ajwa Near Vadodara, India
- Chanod at the Bank of River Narmada in Gujarat, India
- Superb Sayaji Park at Vadodara in Gujarat, India
- Explore Shuklatirth and Kabirvad at the Bank of River Narmada in Gujarat, India