Buying car insurance can be a frustrating process. There are so many companies to choose from and each plan has a variety of options. This can all make your head spin. However, there are some quick tips you can use to make the process painless and easy. You will have your new policy in no time and at a price that fits right into your budget.
When you are shopping for car insurance, you want to compare car insurance quotes from multiple companies and multiple package options. You want to see what is available to you before jumping into a policy. You may also want to look at companies offering special introductory rates for new customers. If you already have a policy, call them and discuss a lower rate, especially if you have something to offer like a flawless driving record. You should get a quote from at least three different companies so that you can get a good idea about the different rates available to you.
Maintain Good Credit
Your credit score does influence your car insurance rate. Research has shown that there is a higher chance of filing a claim when a person has poor credit. Insurance companies see this is as risk so they may charge more when your credit score is low.
When you have a policy, you want make sure that you do not let it lapse. Some insurance companies will raise rates once a policy lapses and you reactivate it. Some people find that using autopay helps them to not forget to pay their car insurance premiums. Most insurance companies do offer autopay, especially when you pay monthly. If you are able, paying six to 12 months at a time can also be convenient. Paying once or twice a year can also help to save a few bucks.
Get a High Deductible
With most insurance companies, when your deductible is higher, your premium is lower. You can adjust your policy and see if this will benefit you at all. You can also call customer service and ask them if raising your deductible would decrease the cost of your premium.
Claim Your Discounts
Car insurance companies offer a variety of discounts that you may be able to take advantage of. Things like anti-lock brakes, low mileage and anti-theft features can bring down your premium. If you are a student, have taken a defensive driving class or have good grades, many insurance companies will offer a discount.
Drop Towing and Rental Coverage
If your car is relatively new and in good working shape, drop the towing. You can also opt to buy something like AAA and ditch your insurance roadside assistance completely. If you were to get into an accident, your car will likely be towed for free because your collision coverage would take care of it.
You can find rental cars on the economy level for about $25 a day. It is rare that you will need this, so you can drop it from your policy.
Combine Insurance Policies
Many insurance companies offer a variety of insurance types and allow you to bundle your policies. For example, you can get your home, life and car insurance all from one company. Most companies will offer a discount when you get more than one type of insurance with them.
This likely goes without saying, but a good driving record helps you when it comes to getting a low-cost policy. Things like accidents and moving violations can increase your rates. Being a defensive driver and following the posted speed limit can help immensely with car insurance costs.
Published by R. Elizabeth C. Kitchen
Rose is a freelance medical writer with a background in health care. She has been a freelance medical writer for five years. Rose is also an editor and writes on a variety of other subjects, such as sports... View profile
- Car Insurance Advice No matter if you are a new driver or a battle-scarred veteran of the highways, here's some advice to help you find the best car insurance rate.
- Cheap Car Insurance CompaniesWhen it comes to car insurance companies there really are a lot to choose from
- The Benefits of Full Coverage Car InsuranceThis article takes a look at 10 benefits of full coverage car insurance.
- Why You Should Consider Full Coverage Car InsuranceTen benefits and tips for purchasing full coverage car insurance.
- How to Find the Cheapest Car Insurance for a Female StudentStudent drivers are eligible for certain types of discounts on car insurance, and female students may be eligible for more discounts than their male counterparts. Use these tips to find the cheapest car insurance for...
- Checklist for Cheap Car Insurance
- Tips for Finding the Best Car Insurance Rate
- 5 Tips for Finding the Best Web Sites for Online Car Insurance Rate Comparisons
- How to Find the Best Car Insurance Rate
- Tips for Lowering Your Car Insurance Rate
- How Car Insurance Companies Determine Your Insurance Rates
- Finding Auto Insurance: How to Find the Best Car Insurance Rate