Craig's List is a classified carnival if you will. It is broken up into areas of each state. For example, Cincinnati Craig's List is for the greater Cincinnati area. You are able to log on to their site, browse, shop, sell and advertise for free. Craig's List offers every kind of classifieds you can imagine from jobs and services to personal ads. Almost anything goes. There are a few tips, tricks and warnings that you should probably know about Craig's List.
When you place an ad, you have a lot of room to say everything you need to say. You can go into detail about what you are offering or selling. When i advertise for my home daycare, I can add my web page and ask viewers to click on the link. I have a much better chance to get my points across than the newspaper. When I run an ad in the newspaper, it costs me $45 for 14 days. It may or may not be on the front page of the child care ads. With Craig's List, you have the opportunity to re-list your classified ad every 48 hours, making it on the front page.
If you really want your free advertisement to be the most effective, it is important to re-list it every time you are permitted to do so. on Craig's List. Unlike, newspaper's you can make it detailed, creative and try and catch the attention of your target consumers. Because Craig's List is so popular, your chances of getting jobs or clients from it are very good. I was told recently from a friend that she witnessed her co-worker listing furniture on Craig's List. She said that he hit the "post" button and the phone rang. It is instant, unlike the newspaper's pricey ads. And unlike the newspaper, you can delete the ad instantly as well, stopping unwanted emails or calls.
Another great feature to Craig's List is that you can choose the option where the viewer can't even see your email address. They reply to your ad and only see you as a number. Their replies do go straight to your in box. This allows you to screen all responses before replying and giving up your email address to the interested person. Another great feature of Craig's List is that you can upload several pictures. This raises your changes of selling your item.
Because the buyer comes and picks up the item, you never have to package anything for shipment or pay shipping fees on Craig's List. You have to answer emails and set up times to pick up etc. It is almost too easy. Even though it is easy and free, there are 3 huge drawbacks to Craig's List. One is that there are no guarantees about the products that you are buying. My brother and his new wife bought a washer and drier from Craig's List and when they didn't work, they had no way to fight for their refund. The second drawback of Craig's List is that it can be dangerous. Just 2 weeks ago, a girl was killed when she answered an ad on Craig's List for babysitting. Like all things, extreme caution needs to be taken. The 3rd drawback is that Craig's List is notified daily, probably hourly, of scams that are taking place. Craig's List has a list of the kinds of scams they see. Most involve wiring money, never to see your product. Here are some tips for buying, selling, posting and keeping safe.
- Meet in a public place to exchange product and money.
- Only accept CASH as a means for payment.
- Ask for a receipt if the amount is greater than $50.
- Take someone with you when answering any ads for service or to exchange product for money.
- Ask to look through the items (like clothing) to check for quality before paying.
- Steer clear of buying things that could be broken like appliances. If you must, ask to see the product working.
- Be prompt when responding to emails before the buyer finds the product elsewhere.
- Send an email immediately if you are interested in an item. It can go very fast.
- When the buyer comes to pick up your products, show them anything else you plan on posting. Sometimes they save you the trouble and buy more.
- Report anything strange to Craig's List for investigation.
- Check Craig's List for your item to see if someone else is selling the same thing for ideas of price. You usually will get a little better than yard sale prices.
- If someone else is selling the item you are about to sell, wait a few days so theirs will be sold and you aren't competing.
- Check Craig's List before buying new toys for your children for Christmas. Used is cheaper and better for the planet.
- Always place an ad with Craig's List before paying for one in a newspaper.
- Choose the sign in option so you can go directly to your Craig's List account to manage your listings.
- Anytime you are answering an ad, especially for service, talk to them on the phone and see if your gut tells you it is the real deal before proceeding.
Craig's List is the way to go these days when you need to advertise or buy almost anything. Keep your head on straight though and think before you meet people or invite them to your home to buy things. Sometimes the elation we feel about selling something for a good price makes us lose our sensibilities. Have fun and be careful.
Published by Sonya Covert
I am a Christian wife and mother of 2 boys who are 2 and 6. I enjoy blogging, scrap booking, writing, couponing and photography along with spending as much time with my children as possible. I have a passio... View profile
- Schindler's List: A Look at Steven Spielberg's Best FilmSchindler's List is not only a fine example of filmmaking at its best, but it also serves as a memorial to the six million victims of the Holocaust.
- Blog Spotlight: A-List Blogger Nick Douglas of ValleywagValleywag is Silicon Valley's tech gossip rag. And who is the author of this A-List blog? His name is Nick Douglas and he was plucked prematurely from undergraduate English.
- How to Build an Opt-In Email ListAs an affiliate marketer you do not have to live from sale to sale anymore. You can now make your own opt-in email list too. This will be a great benefit to your business in n...
- Craig's List - It's Not EBay But it Works
- Using Craig's List to Find Writing Gigs
- 6 Tips for Avoiding Scams on Craig's List
- How and when to Promote Your Business with Craig's List
- Ready to List Your Home for Sale? Ten Tips to Make it More Marketable and Get a Qu...
- The New Anniversary Gift List
- The Horror Movie List